Nutritional Sea Vegetables
Sea vegetables or seaweed offer one of the most extensive ranges of minerals of any food group, encompassing virtually all the minerals found in the ocean, and even more astonishing, most of same minerals found in human blood. Sea vegetables also offer an assortment of distinctive phytonutrients, including the sulfated polysaccharides also known as fucoidans.
Sea vegetables are known to possess a variety of heart health compounds such as angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and antioxidants. Marine plants also provide an excellent source of essential fatty acids that supports the reduction of blood cholesterol levels, and therefore reducing the risk of atheroscleosis which involves the hardening of arteries, and thrombosis which involves the formation of blood clots.
Dietary fibre is required by the human body to clean the digestive system, and provide protection from probable carcinogens, by absorbing different substances such as cholesterol in preparation for elimination. Increased dietary fibre intake has been related to the decline of obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol levels, cardiovascular disease, and various types of cancer. Brown seaweeds such as wakame contain up to 40 percent more soluble fibre than terrestrial plants such as apples.
Popular Sea Vegetables or Seaweeds
* Kelp is an extremely nutritious edible sea vegetable variety that encompasses the widest assortment of concentrated phytonutrients. By far, sea kelp is one of the most frequently consumed seaweeds worldwide because it grows efficiently in most marine environments. Sea kelp seaweed species belongs to the brown algae (Phaeophyceae) family and is usually specifically sort after for the purpose that it contains high levels of iodine and proteins. The whole seaweed or dehydrated powders can be combined with soup stocks to produce a highly nutritional food source. Arame, Hijiki, Kombu, and Wakame are also varieties of sea kelp.
* Nori sea vegetable is the Japanese name for the edible seaweed species of the red algae (Porphyra) family, often found growing from coastal rocks in thin twisted arrangements usually about a foot in length. Nori seaweed has been conventionally prepared into sheets (comparable to the paper making procedure) for centuries by Asian cultures. Nori sheets are predominately used in wrapping sushi, but are also ideal for use as tortilla wraps or bread. The raw variety of Nori contains the most nutrition and is dark green in colour, the bright green nori sheets have undergone a toasting process and contain considerably lower nutrient value.
* Dulse sea vegetable is a crimson coloured seaweed species also belonging to the red algae family, frequently found growing from coastal rocks on the Northwest Pacific and North Atlantic coasts, Iceland, Canada and regions of Scotland and Ireland. Dulse seaweed is often used when dried, providing a delicious smoky flavor that has a soft chewy texture. Similar to Nori seaweed, Dulse seaweed does not require cooking, and can be equally enjoyed just sprinkled over meals as a salt substitution.
Please Note: Whilst increased iodine intake is beneficial for healthy thyroid function, high levels of iodine usually found in the brown algae family consumed regularly over a long period of time can adversely affect thyroid function. While brown algae type seaweeds are safe for adults if consumed in moderation, there have been cases where pregnant women have over consumed brown algae type seaweed products and their babies have fallen ill.
Because of the potential to cause illness, it is advisable that pregnant or breastfeeding women consume no more than one serving per week of brown algae type seaweed. Children can also be predisposed to excessive iodine so it is advisable that they should also consume no more than one serving per week.
Spice Up Your Relationship
Trying to create an intimate relationship once it has gone stale involves a gradual change from the normal routine, and both partners are required to exercise equal effort.
Since spending healthy intimate times with your partner is stress reducing and an excellent way to connect with your partner, then it is probably something that you would not want to forfeit. The yogis would say to not over do it, but finding the proper balance is the key. If you are guilty of turning your partner down in the bedroom a little more often than you’d like, perhaps it is time you try some natural herbs and spices to spice things up a bit!
If living a healthy lifestyle is one of your top priorities, do not neglect your immune system. The immune system provides protection from bacteria, viruses, fungi, moulds and cancer cells. Simply put, if you want to extend your healthy life span and increase your quality of life, then consider boosting your immune system with herbs and spices.
Category: Good Health | Views: 862 | | Date: 2016-04-16
Achieving a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy
For many couples, pregnancy is one joyous event that should be celebrated as well as taken care of very mindfully. Though this is a very sensitive phase, it must still be enjoyed as not all couples are granted this opportunity.
• Experience leisurely baths and massages!
• Pregnancy pillows are there for a reason!
• Obtain nutrients via natural fruits and vegetables!
Being pregnant is really not troublesome, it can be fun and enjoyable. You will just need to make some adjustments to encourage healthy living by adopting a healthy lifestyle.
Category: Good Health | Views: 887 | | Date: 2015-12-10
Antiviral Herbs From Nature
Bacteria are inter-cellular organisms meaning that they live in between cells, whereas viruses are intra-cellular organisms meaning that they penetrate the host cells and reside within.
Simmer slices of astragalus root in water to produce a healing concoction, or you can purchase the commercially available concentrate. The generally consensus is that astragalus is best if taken as a preventative measure rather than waiting till you are absolutely infected. If you think you have been exposed to the cold or flu virus or are beginning to experience the symptoms, start taking astragalus immediately.
Simmer sliced or minced garlic in chicken soup and sip it to ward off colds and flu. Raw crushed garlic can be sprinkled over salads or included to pasta dishes. Be aware that certain individuals have complained that consuming too much raw garlic has caused them severe nausea.
Herbal Root Teas made with fresh ginger are quite pleasant and spicy. Many have opted to sweeten their herbal tea with raw honey for that added germ fighting benefit as well as flavour. When experiencing the very first symptoms of a cold or flu, start drinking your favourite herbal tea with sliced ginger root included, several times a day. Even better still, drink ginger root tea regularly as a preventative even if you think you may have been exposed to a virus. Ginger has long been considered quite safe for regular consumption, although it is recommended for pregnant women to consult with their healthcare professional.
Lemon balm makes a delicious herbal tea, and can be consumed to ward off all kinds of viral infections, such as colds and flu. The herbal tea containing lemon balm or commercially available creams are also excellent skin treatments and can be applied directly to cold sores or other viral lesions such as chickenpox or shingles.
Category: Good Health | Views: 887 | | Date: 2015-08-12